Social Programs

South Dakota Housing Development Authority and partner agencies are working to assist South Dakotans who have been impacted by COVID-19 and the related economic crisis by offering financial assistance to help stabilize their housing situation. The funding is provided to South Dakota through the CARES Act.

If you are unable to pay rent, mortgage, property insurance on your home, or utilities (non-government services) because of the pandemic, short-term financial assistance may be available.

General Questions

To be eligible, a household must:

  • Be a South Dakota resident.
  • Legally reside in the United States.
  • Be financially impacted by the COVID 19 pandemic. 
  • Have current household income that does not exceed 115% Area Median Income (AMI) as outlined in the below.
    1 person – $62,675
    2 person – $71,530
    3 person – $80,500
    4 person – $89,470
    5 person – $96,600
    6 person – $103,730
    7 person – $110,975
    8 person – $118,105
  • Owe past due rent, mortgage, insurance or utilities (i.e. water, sewer, electricity, propane/natural gas, trash) or be unable to pay upcoming rent, mortgage or utilities due to the financial impact.

Partner agencies across South Dakota are available to help households complete an application and provide financial assistance. Once determined eligible, you will be asked to complete the full application and will be expected to submit required documentation before assistance is provided.

SDHDA is partnering with the following agencies and you may apply through one of these organizations or SDHDA. The application can be completed on-line and can be found on the following websites.

Helpline Center, Sioux Falls –

Interlakes Community Action Program, Madison –

Rural Office of Community Services, Wagner –

Western South Dakota Community Action, Rapid City –

GROW SD, Sisseton –

Lakota Funds, Kyle –

Mazaska Owecaso Otipi Financial, Pine Ridge –

Four Bands Community Fund, Eagle Butte –

NeighborWorks Dakota Home Resources, Deadwood –

South Dakota Housing Development Authority, Pierre –

Yes, you can access and complete the application via your smartphone and upload pictures of the required documentation.

You will receive an email indicating that your application has been received. This tokenized email will be your access to your application so it is very important that you do not lose this email. You will use this tokenized email to log back into the application to check status or to upload additional documents if necessary.

Upon submission, your application will be assigned to one of the partner agencies and they will be in contact with you for any additional documents or information that may be necessary.

If you are unable to find your tokenized email you will need to contact the Helpline Center at 211.

Yes, all unemployment benefits, including any pandemic unemployment assistance for COVID-19, should be included as income.

Housing statuses eligible for assistance include being at risk of losing housing or having already lost housing because of COVID-19 circumstances. This includes renters, homeowners and households doubled up with another household.

Households that are literally homeless without a nighttime residence are not eligible. Households in such a circumstance should seek alternative resources such as Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) funding or by contacting 211 Helpline Center.

Yes. Housing assistance is being provided through CARES Act funding and this funding cannot be used to replace government revenue. Housing assistance cannot be provided to cover the cost of government provided utilities or for payment of real estate taxes.

Assistance can be paid in all South Dakota counties.

Applications can be submitted electronically. If you need assistance in applying, simply call 211 or contact any of the partner agencies for assistance and they will let you know what information and documents are required to receive assistance.

Upon review of your application, staff will ask you to supply any additional documentation via email. The partner agencies, local public housing authorities, utility companies, libraries, your landlord, churches, and local government offices may be able to assist you with scanning and submitting documentation via email. All documents must include the applicant’s name.

Yes. Assistance will not require proof of ability to satisfy future housing expenses.

The amount of assistance received by each household will be based on each household’s circumstance. Each household may receive no more than $1,500 of assistance per month.

No, we cannot use the funds for reimbursement. The payment must be made for an amount actually owed.

No, household stimulus checks are not included in calculation of income.

Yes. Households that are not yet past due are still eligible to receive assistance.

No. Application review and processing may take up to 3-7 days. Applicant and payee will be notified upon payment approval and issuance. Payments may take an additional 7-10 days to arrive.

Payments will be sent via check directly to the landlord, mortgage servicers, and/or utility providers. Payment should arrive within 7-10 days after notification of an approved application.

All applicants must be accessible by either phone or email. You may provide a release of information to authorize communication with a representative of yours that has an active phone number or email.

Applicants will be asked to supply tax returns, lease agreement or mortgage promissory note, proof of rent, mortgage, or utilities due, proof of income (or lack of income), a state- or tribally-issued ID, and release of information.

You can submit an application without attaching all the required documentation. However, this will most likely lengthen the application review process. Applicants will be contacted within three business days, of submitting their application, to request missing information or documentation.

A letter from your previous employer is the preferred documentation. In its absence, you can supply other documentation you believe demonstrates your loss of income. In the absence of proof of income or loss of income, you will be required to sign the Zero-Loss of Income Certification.

This is requested by the Federal Government to ensure our compliance with equal credit opportunity, fair housing and home mortgage disclosure laws. You are not required to furnish this information, but are encouraged to do. For race, you may check more than one designation. If you do not wish to furnish the information, please check the appropriate box.

No. Assistance can only be provided for costs incurred after March 1, 2020.
There are additional resources that may be available to assist you with this cost. Please contact 211 or SDHDA for further assistance.

Yes. Assistance can cover non-excessive late fees that were incurred March 1, 2020, or thereafter, and are the result of COVID.

Choice Voucher, CSBG, ESG, CoC, etc.) are not eligible to receive additional assistance for the same expense. Renters residing in an income-based property with affordable rents (e.g., Tax Credit property), but not receiving a federal rental subsidy, may be eligible to receive CARES Act assistance.

Maybe. The program may help with application fee, rental and utility payments and, on rare occasions, security deposits for new housing options, only when the alternative was homelessness.

SDHDA and the partner agencies do not provide legal counsel. Consider contacting the State Bar of South Dakota – for legal assistance.

No. SDHDA and the partner agencies do not act as an intermediary between renters, landlords or utility providers. Consider contacting the State Bar of South Dakota for legal assistance.

No. Assistance is intended to help households preserve their current housing by paying rent and utility obligations that the household is unable to pay due to COVID-19 related circumstances. If you are homeless and need a temporary place to stay please contact our homeless service providers by contacting 211 or visiting SDHDA’s website for a service provider in your area.


Yes. A lease agreement will be requested from your landlord. If a lease agreement cannot be obtained, supplemental documentation may be used to evidence the rental payment amount.

A notice of eviction is not required. A statement from your landlord indicating the amount of past-due rent (and for which period of time) is acceptable documentation. A ledger created by the renter is not sufficient documentation of need.

No, you may not receive assistance if you rent from an immediate relative. An exception may be available if the rental arrangement is a reasonable accommodation. In this case, the applicant will need to provide a disability-related need to rent from the relative that is verified by a licensed professional involved in the applicant’s care.

Landlords cannot apply on behalf of tenants. However, you should notify your tenants of this program because they may qualify for assistance.

Yes, if your situation was created by circumstances related to COVID-19. However, there may be additional services that are better suited for your household by contacting 211 or visiting SDHDA’s website for a homeless service provider in your area.

Yes, payment for lot rent for manufactured homes is eligible. A lot rental verification or copy of the rental agreement is required prior to any payment being made.

Yes, if the home is the applicant’s primary residence, assistance can be provided with submission of the appropriate documentation.


If you are currently in a forbearance program, that has not expired, there is no risk of foreclosure so you would not be eligible to apply.

However, if the forbearance period has expired and you have been denied COVID-19 loss mitigation assistance to resolve the amount you were delinquent when the forbearance period expired, then yes you would be eligible to apply for assistance.

You are encouraged to contact your servicing agent to determine when your forbearance period ends, discuss how to resolve the delinquent payments at the end of the forbearance period and discuss whether you would qualify for a COVID-19 loss mitigation option.

No, CARES Act funding cannot be used to pay property taxes. Assistance may only be provided for payment of principal, interest and insurance (PMI and property).