Emergency Solutions Grants Program Funds Available
Pierre, S.D. - South Dakota Housing Development Authority (SDHDA) is now accepting applications for the Emergency Solutions Grants Program.
The Emergency Solutions Grants Program (ESG) is a federal block grant authorized by Subtitle B of the McKinney Vento Homelessness Assistance Act and is administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. ESG funds are to be used for services to homeless and near homeless individuals and families in these major categories:
- Renovation, major rehabilitation or conversion of building for use as emergency shelter facilities;
- Payment of certain operating expenses related to operating emergency shelter facilities;
- Payment of essential services provided to homeless individuals and families in emergency shelter facilities;
- Payment of street outreach services to assist unsheltered homeless people and connect them to services;
- Payment of rapid re-housing assistance to quickly get homeless individuals and families re-housed into permanent housing;
- Development and implementation of homelessness prevention activities to help those individuals who are about to lose their housing due to eviction; and
- Participating in the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) which is a web-based program designed to capture client level data.
Applicants must be nonprofits or units of local government.
The estimated total funding available for 2015 funding year is approximately $400,000 with 60 percent of the total funding available for street outreach and shelter operations activities and 40 percent available for homeless prevention, rapid re-housing, HMIS and administrative activities.
While it is difficult to get an absolute account of the homeless, a 2014 survey reported there were more than 885 homeless people in South Dakota with 247 of them children. Single parent families made up 20 percent of the homeless who were surveyed.
The ESG Program is one of several sources designated to reduce homelessness throughout the state.
The ESG Program application is available on SDHDA’s website at www.sdhda.org.
For more information on the ESG Program, please email Lisa Bondy at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 605.773.3181.
Applications must be received by March 31, 2015, at 5 p.m. (CST).