Affordable. Efficient. Home.
That feeling of calling someplace “home” can be a powerful thing. When that home happens to be affordably priced, energy-efficient and high-quality, all the better. South Dakota Housing’s hallmark program, the Governor’s House, offers this very feeling—a low-maintenance dwelling that’s attractive, reasonably sized and budget-friendly for those who are income-qualified.
With 3,200+ sold since 1996, it’s part of how SDHDA makes homeownership more affordable for all across the state.
There are many advantages to purchasing a Governor’s House property beyond the affordable price tag—including the opportunity to live independently; the ability for community developers to group the homes into twos, threes and fours (or DakotaPlex models) to provide more affordable housing for their areas; and the structure’s energy-efficiency.
The program was conceived to provide affordable housing, particularly to those people who are seniors, have disabilities or are low- to moderate-income. To qualify, purchasers must:
- Make $59,780 or less in a one- or two-person household or $68,320 or less in a household of three or more
- Have net worth of less than $125,000—or $105,000 in liquid assets—for applicants age 61 or younger
- Have net worth of less than $250,000—or $140,000 in liquid assets—for applicants age 62 or older
- Consider the home their only residence
- Place the home within South Dakota
*SDHDA will be limiting developer purchases to two houses/units per 90 days.
How Can I Buy?
There are two- and three-bedroom varieties of Governor’s House properties—the two-bedroom style currently costs $62,800*, while the three-bedroom runs $75,200*. The purchaser is responsible for the following:
- Securing a lot
- Purchasing a building permit
- Laying the foundation
- Hooking up utilities
- Providing floor coverings and appliances
Please note: due to the current production capacity, new house orders will not be ready for delivery for 3+ years. Houses already on order may also be delayed.
*Price subject to change—includes delivery and placement, but does not include excise and sales tax
(Products may vary depending on availability of material)
- 24' x 42' home - 1,008 sq. ft. (Two-Bedroom House)
- 24' x 50' home - 1,200 sq. ft.
- (Three-Bedroom House)
- 2" X 6" exterior wall construction with R21 Batt insulation + R7.5 1-1/2" foam = R28.5 insulation
- R-60 blown in fiberglass insulation in the attic
- Vinyl traditional lap D-4 siding
- Vinyl windows with insulated glass
- Onyx stained, shaker styler, oak kitchen and bathroom cabinets
- Choice of an electric forced air or gas forced air furnace
- Air-Source Heat Pump to provide primary cooling and secondary heating
- Unit is a 2-ton unit rated at 15 SEER/8.5 HSPF
- Electric hot water heater
- 1/2" sheetrock on all interior walls; 5/8" sheetrock on ceilings
- All walls are taped, textured and painted
- Architectural Asphalt Shingles
- Manufacturer: Tamko
- Series: Heritage
- Style: Architectural
- Color: Weather Wood
- Warranty: Limited 30 Year Prorated
- Limited wind up to 130 mph
How Are They Built?
These beautiful, low-cost homes are built through a partnership with the Governor’s Inmate Training Program. Through an educational program at one of the state’s prisons, participating inmates can learn skills and trades in building the Governor’s House properties to prepare them for related work upon release.