Fair Housing and Your Rights
Under the Fair Housing Act of 1968, it is illegal to discriminate in housing against anyone based on race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status or national origin.
Types of Discrimination
Fair Housing Ombudsman
The statewide Fair Housing ombudsman is a resource for renters and landlords to utilize to understand their rights and responsibilities. The ombudsman will informally answer questions and act as a mediator to help find an answer that both parties can accept.
- Call HUD: Bacause Sexual Harassment in Housing is Illegal Campaign
- Fair Housing: What You Need to Know Booklet
- Fair Housing: What Everyone Should Know Presentation
- Assistance Animal Request Form
- Verification of Reasonable Accommodations Form
- HUD Office of Fair Housing an Equal Opportunity
- Fair Housing Laws
- Reasonable Accommodations under the Fair Housing Act
- South Dakota Office of the Attorney General
- Section 504 Accessibility
If you have a question regarding Fair Housing or feel that you have been discriminated against, contact the statewide Fair Housing ombudsman:
E-mail Paul Flogstad
Phone: (877) 832-0161
Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint. There are several ways to file a complaint:
- You can file a complaint right now, by using this online form.
- You can call toll-free 1-800-877-7353.
- You can print out a form, complete it, and drop it off at your local HUD office or mail it to the address below:
- You can write a letter including:
- Your name and address
- The name and address of the person your complaint is about
- The address of the house or apartment you were trying to rent or buy
- The date when this incident occurred
- A short description of what happened
Then mail it to the Fair Housing Hub closest to you:
Fair Housing Hub
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Denver, Colorado 80202
TTY (303) 672-5248