In 1996, the Governor’s House program was created as a way to provide reasonably sized, affordable homes to income-qualified individuals and families.
More than 1,900 Governor's Houses have been sold to elderly, persons with disabilities, and income-qualified families in South Dakota. These South Dakota residents have a quality, low-cost, low-maintenance, energy efficient place to call home.
The Governor's House allows individuals to live independently. These homes may be placed individually or in groupings to provide a community environment.
- Household income cannot exceed $45,220 for couples or individuals and $51,680 for families of three or more.*
- For families and individuals under the age of 62, net worth must be less than $90,000 and less than $70,000 in liquid assets. For families and individuals age 62 and older, net worth must be less than $175,000 and less than $100,000 in liquid assets.
- The house must be used as the homebuyer's only residence.
- The house must be placed within South Dakota and be owned by the individual(s) living in the home
- *Effective January 17, 2014
Two Bedroom - Narrow Lot
(Includes Delivery and Placement)
Two Bedroom - $39,800*, plus excise and sales tax.
Three Bedroom - $45,500*, plus excise and sales tax.
(SDHDA will provide technical assistance for setup of home.)
- Provide the lot
- Purchase the building permit
- Provide the foundation
- Utility hookups and fees
- Floor coverings and appliances
*Subject to change.
Inmate Training Program
The Program puts prison inmates to work which teaches them valuable skills. The simplified home design, in conjunction with the Governor's Inmate Training Program, keeps the cost of these homes affordable. This benefits many inmates by teaching them important skills to better prepare them for life outside of prison.
- 24' x 42' home - 1,008 sq. ft. (Two-Bedroom House)
- 24' x 50' home - 1,200 sq. ft. (Three-Bedroom House)
- 2" X 6" exterior wall construction with R-29 blow-in-batt insulation.
- R-60 blown in Cellulose insulation in the attic.
- Vinyl lap siding
- Vinyl windows with insulated glass.
- Oak kitchen & bath cabinets.
- Choice of an electric forced air or gas forced air furnace.
- Electric hot water heater.
- 1/2" sheetrock on all interior walls; 5/8" sheetrock on ceilings.
- All walls are taped, textured and painted.
- Architectural Asphalt Shingles
- Manufacturer: Tamko
- Style: Heritage Architectural
- Color: Weathered Wood
- Warranty: Limited 30 Year Prorated
- Limited wind up to 110 mph
- Manufacturers, Models & Warranties List
- Pheasantland Industries-Kitchen and Bathroom Cabinetry
If your Governor’s House was built between 2001 and 2005, the shingles may be defective. Please contact SDHDA at (605) 773-4132 or (800) 540-4241 for shingle information.
If the shingles are CertainTeed brand, contact CertainTeed at (888) 898-4111 or www.certainteedshinglesettlement.com.
- Vendor Phone List