The South Dakota Housing Opportunity Fund (HOF) is designed to promote economic development in South Dakota by expanding the supply of decent, safe, sanitary and affordable housing targeted to low and moderate income families and individuals in South Dakota. The HOF was created via Senate Bill 235 the “Building South Dakota Fund” during the 2013 legislative session. As outlined in South Dakota Codified Law 11-13, the HOF is being administered by South Dakota Housing Development Authority (SDHDA) and the SDHDA Board of Commissioners (SDHDA Board). HOF funds may be used for new construction or the purchase and rehabilitation of rental or homeownership housing, housing preservation, including home repair grants and grants to make homes more accessible to individual with disabilities, homelessness prevention activities, and community land trusts. Any for-profit entity, nonprofit entity, tribal government, housing authority, political subdivision of this state or agency of such subdivision, or agency of this state is eligible to apply for funding.
2017 Housing Opportunity Fund Applicants
Applications are due the last working day of August at 5:00 p.m. Central Time. Completed applications (refer to Exhibit 1 of the Housing Opportunity Fund Plan Application) must be delivered (via U.S. Postal Service, private mailing service, or hand delivery) to SDHDA by 5:00 p.m. Central Time on the applicable due date. Applications via facsimile or e-mail will NOT be accepted.
At this time, SDHDA does not have an estimate of available program funding.
Housing Opportunity Fund Allocation Plan
- pdf Self Scoring Worksheet (262 KB) - **Applicants are requested to complete and submit the Self Scoring Worksheet with their Housing Opportunity Fund Application**
- pdf Rental Application (1.70 MB)
- pdf Homeownership and Program Application (376 KB)
- pdf 115 AMI for Housing Opportunity Fund (207 KB)
- pdf HOF Supplemental Application (70 KB) - To be used only if also applying for HOME and/or Housing Tax Credit Funding
- pdf HOME-HTC Application (2.00 MB)