Under the Fair Housing Act of 1968, it is illegal to discriminate in housing against anyone based on race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status or national origin.
Types of Discrimination
Fair Housing Ombudsman
The statewide Fair Housing ombudsman is a resource for renters and landlords to utilize to understand their rights and responsibilities. The ombudsman will informally answer questions and act as a mediator to help find an answer that both parties can accept.
- HUD Office of Fair Housing an Equal Opportunity
- Fair Housing Laws
- Reasonable Accommodations under the Fair Housing Act
- HUD's newly released guidance on reasonable accommodations
- South Dakota Office of the Attorney General
- South Dakota Division of Human Rights
- Section 504 Accessibility
If you have a question regarding Fair Housing or feel that you have been discriminated against, contact the statewide Fair Housing ombudsman:
E-mail Paul Flogstad
Phone: (877) 832-0161